Monday 31 March 2014

Identifying Paragraph and Analyzing the Adequate and Inadequate Cohesion

Posted by ritma on 13:46

     How to write paragraph with adequate and inadequate cohesion.

                 Paragraph is cohesive when all of the sentences “go together” in a logical sequence. We feel one sentence is cohesive with the next when we see at the beginning of a second sentence information that appeared toward the end of the previous one.  That’s what creates our experience of “flow.”  For example:
         Some astonishing questions about the nature of the universe have been raised by scientists studying black holes in space. A black hole is created by the collapse of a dead star into a point perhaps no larger than a marble. So much matter compressed into so little volume changes the fabric of space around it in puzzling ways. 
            In other words you should:
1.       Begin sentences with information familiar to your readers.
That information can either come from a sentence or two before (as in the above), or it can be general information that your reader brings to the subject.
2.      End sentences with information the reader cannot anticipate.
Whatever is familiar and simple is easier to understand than what is new and complicated, and readers always prefer to read what is easy before they read what is hard. 

What is Cohesion?
Cohesion can be thought of as all the grammatical and lexical links that link one part of a text to another. This includes use of synonyms, lexical sets, pronouns, verb tenses, time references, grammatical reference, etc. For example, 'it', 'neither' and 'this' all refer to an idea previously mentioned. 'First of all', 'then' and 'after that' help to sequence a text. 'However', 'in addition' and 'for instance' link ideas and arguments in a text.

How is cohesion different from coherence?
It is difficult to separate the two. However, think of coherence as the text making sense as a whole at an ideas level, and cohesion as rather more mechanical links at a language level. You can imagine that it is possible for a piece of writing to contain plenty of cohesion yet little coherence.

Cohesion is the glue that holds a piece of writing together. In other words, if a paper is cohesive, it sticks together from sentence to sentence and from paragraph to paragraph. Cohesive devices certainly include transitional words and phrases, such as therefore, furthermore, or for instance, that clarify for readers the relationships among ideas in a piece of writing. However, transitions aren't enough to make writing cohesive. Repetition of key words and use of reference words are also needed for cohesion.

While, Paragraph can be coherence when sentences, ideas, and details fit together clearly, readers can follow along easily, and the writing is coherent. The ideas tie together smoothly and clearly. To establish the links that readers need, you can use the methods listed here.

     Identifying the Paragraph that shows cohesion

A Little Piece of Me

            To describe myself completely, I need to divide it into five aspects. They are background, physical appearance, education, personality and hobby.  First of all,  my name is Ritma Ratri Meilia, or “Ati ” as my family called me. I was born on May 6, 1995. It took eighteen years to create who I am today. I live in Bangunan village, Palas and that is in South Lampung. It is far enough to the location where I stay now in Metro. Second, I am a girl with brown skin, and black eyes. My weight is 48 kg and I am 155 cm. I think my weight and my tall is ideal. My face is oval. My nose is pointed enough. I wear veil on my head. Third, I studied on Elementary School 2 Bangunan, Junior High School 1 Palas, and Senior Highschool 1 Palas. Then now, I am continuing to study in Muhammadiyah University of Metro. I take English Education Departement and I am now in fourth semesters.  Fourth, I am a stolid girl in the class. I think I am also a computer geek as a lot of my friends say. The best thing about me is that I am just the way I am. The last, I have so many hobbies. I am always interested at many things, especially something new. I like listening to the music, like easy dubstep and classic rock. I am also an anime addict, my life is not complete without watching and updating anime series in every season. I am bad at singing, however things I do a lot is sing a song. I also love eating, my favorite food and drink are fried rice and watermelon juice.  I like spending my free time on Cyber world. I do not have much close friends, that’s why I often chat with my internet friends. I use to talk about some good movies and animes. Ever since, I do chatting with some foreigners via what’s app and facebook to increase my English skill. I like them so much, they are very kind. Finally, I hope I can be better in every aspect of me.

NOTICE : The underline sentences or words are adequate cohesion, the other ones are not.

     Why It can be categorized as Adequate Cohesion?

Cohesion sentences/words
Reasons
To describe myself completely, I need to divide it into five aspects. They are background, physical appearance, education, personality and hobby.
This sentences are categorized as cohesion because the firts sentence links to the next sentence. The word “they” refers to the word “five aspects” in the last 1st sentence.
First of all,
This is categorized as cohesion because it helps to sequence a text.
I was born on May 6, 1995. It took eighteen years to create who I am today.
The second  sentence is still related to the first sentence. The word “it” refers to the sentence “I was born on May 6, 1995”.
I live in Bangunan village, Palas and that is in South Lampung. It is far enough to the location where I stay now in Metro.
The second sentence is the detail information about the location in the first sentence. It is also categorized as cohesion .
Third, I studied on Elementary School 2 Bangunan, Junior High School 1 Palas, and Senior Highschool 1 Palas. Then now, I am continuing to study in Muhammadiyah University of Metro. I take English Education Departement and I am now in fourth semesters.
The sentence is categorized as cohesion becuase the first and the second sentence is related.  And the word “then” helps to sequence a text. The third sentence is also related to the second sentence bacause it tells about the detail.
The last, I have so many hobbies. I am always interested at many things, especially something new.
The words “the last” helps to sequence the text. The second sentence is the detail information from the first sentence. That’s why this is also categorized as cohesion.
I am also an anime addict, my life is not complete without watching and updating anime series in every season.
This sentence is categorized as cohesion because after “,” there’s the detail information that is related to the first idea.
I am bad at singing, however things I do a lot is sing a song.
This is also cohesion because the word “however” links ideas and arguments in a text.
I also love eating, my favorite food and drink are fried rice and watermelon juice.
This sentence is categorized as cohesion because after “,” there’s the detail information that is related to the first idea.
I do not have much close friends, that is why I often chat with my internet friends.
This sentence is cohesion because it contains two related information. The word “that” also shows cohesion, it refers to an idea previously mentioned.
Finally
This is categorized as cohesion because it helps to sequence a text.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site